What documents are required for the application to the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program (CHAP)?

Documents applicants will need to provide in the application process

Written By Penny C (Administrator)

Updated at December 8th, 2020

As of December 8, 2020, the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program is no longer accepting applications or new assistance requests. 

The COVID-19 Assistance Program is funded by federal dollars through the Coronavirus Relief Fund, which was authorized by the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and this funding expires on December 31, 2020. Local administrators need the rest of December to review and process as many applications as possible.

Local program administrators continue to process applications in January 2021.  (Applications being processed in January 2021, met submission deadlines in December 2020.)

The following documents are required for your application to the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program. It is recommended that you gather the following documentation now so you are ready when you are contacted by your local administrator:

  • Proof of your past four weeks of income
  • The actual past due bill or notice you are seeking assistance for
  • The name, phone number and email address for the person or business you will receive payment (if approved)
  • W-9: You can notify your landlord or mortgage servicer that they will need to fill out a W-9 form if your application is approved. W-9 forms are not required from utility companies. This form is causing much of the delay for eligible payment. 

Was this article helpful?

© 2015, HousingLink